The Locanda Linando II is situated in Certaldo Alto derived from the Latin “Cerrus Altus” high place covered by turkey oak trees.
It is a small medieval jewel mounted between the softly rolling hills of the Chianti region and between Florence and Siena. Earlier the Etruscans chose it as a settlement. In 1164 Federico Barbarossa ceded it to the Alberti Counts of Prato and it later fell under the control of Florence.
Certaldo Alto developed mainly during the medieval age when with the first Lords of Florence it became one of the most important municipalities of Tuscany, extending from the Val d’Elsa to Val di Pesa and as far as Val d’Arno in approximately 1400.
Between the years ‘600 and ‘700 it was a significant place of rest and refreshment for the pilgrims who traveled along the Via Francigena.
A place full of history where one can visit the home, now museum of Giovanni Boccaccio,author in 1350 of “The Decameron” and one of the fathers of Italian and also European literature.
The Palazzo Pretorio, seat of the Viceroy of the first Lord of Florence in 1415,today displays within many contemporary art exhibitions.
The adjacent church of San Tommaso and Prospero which dates back to the year 1000 is where one can admire affrescoes of the XV and XVI centuries.
The village has preserved intact the battlement walls of warm red bricks and it rises like a castle on the hills surrounded by olive trees, cypresses and fields of wheat.